Monday, January 28, 2013

I'm A Mormon... And I Struggled With Anorexia

I've casually enjoyed a video or two of Lindsey Stirling's--she's the one who does the awesome dance moves while playing violin with techno music providing the beat with crazy ice structures in the background, if that rings a bell. I knew she was Mormon, which was kind of in the "well that's cool, sure" category. So I started watching her Mormon.org video profile expecting to hear about some of all that. And while it starts off pretty conventionally, I was really impressed by her willingness to open up in the middle of it about her struggles with anorexia. I thought it was a great video.


What do you think? Is this a helpful way to continue opening up dialogue about body issues?

4 comments:

  1. I liked this one too. The message is simple, but effective. No self-blame, some social commentary and a refusal to let it dominate her life. Seems all good there.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed, I hadn't put my finger on those positive points in her presentation of it--good call! And of course it was your awesome wife, the inimitable Caitlin Carroll, who shared it on facebook, enabling me to see it, so a definite tip of my hat to her.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love Lindsey but I feel like there's still a tiredness, a sadness, something unresolved still hanging over her. Maybe I'm wrong, but as a previous anorexic I know about these things... she still strikes me as rather on the thin side, tells me those issues might not have been completely overcome yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know everything about her, its not creepy at all

    ReplyDelete