Monday, October 8, 2012

Today I Ran, Because I Can--Adele

I actually went to the gym today. Most of the time my gym membership is more like a Monthly Donation to the Charity of Planet Fitness. However I've noticed that I feel best when I've been active, and my job has me being a little less active than usual lately, so I decided it would do me good to go. Going to the gym is sometimes more loaded an issue for me than it "should" be. Oftentimes I feel like I need to get in shape before I can go to the gym to work out.....y'know what I mean? I'm still navigating the unfamiliar territory of Exercise for Enjoyment.

But today was a good day. Although I hadn't been running -- ahem, jogging -- in FOREVER, I managed a mile...and it truly felt so good. I normally hate jogging on a treadmill, but today I tried to focus on my body - the feeling of impact as my feet hit the surface, the sensation of my muscles working together in my legs...it wasn't easy, but for the first time is a very long time, it was joyful. I wasn't consumed with self-loathing as the activity jiggled the excess on my backside. I didn't compare myself to the other runners on the machines on either side of me. I just ran. And I enjoyed it. Because my body is imperfect, but it can do some amazing things. And I'm grateful for it.

No comments:

Post a Comment