Tuesday, June 26, 2012

The Future of Beauty--Anonymous


The problems with my body started because of my mother's problems. 

There, I said it.

However, that is not to say that she is not the most wonderful, amazing, and loving person that I know. It just means that what she thought of her body rubbed off on me. The little comments that she would make on a daily basis, the new diets that she would try every week or so; things like that eventually embedded itself into my brain as a child, and then as a teenager, and even now as an adult. She didn’t do it on purpose. My mom is too wonderful to do that. She just didn’t realize that what she thought of her body would eventually affect what her children thought of theirs.

I work with kids now. I’m a preschool teacher to 12 wonderful, challenging, energetic children. Their bright futures and complete lack of concern for anything body-related is so refreshing. They run and laugh and play and eat whatever they want, whenever they want to. Their favorite color changes before they can finish the picture they’re coloring, and (most importantly) they love without worry. The thought of them, of those beautiful children growing up worrying about whether they’re beautiful enough, or good enough, makes me hurt.  It’s made me realize how important it is for us (as adults) to preserve that part of their childhood. Children are our future, and if we want to change the way that the world sees beauty then we need to teach them a different definition of what beauty truly is.

Christ often taught about the benefits of becoming more like little children (Matthew 18:3), and being a preschool teacher has completely converted me to this concept. I wish more people could love like these children do. I think the world would truly change if that happened.

1 comment:

  1. You are 100% right. I think about this sometimes too. I have a niece that wouldn't wear a coat when she was 6 because it didn't match her dress.
    How, at 6 years old, is this even a concern?

    ReplyDelete